Raven Bakery is small market and wholesale bakery in Bellingham, WA. The bakery is focused on great food and ethical business. We bake wholegrain, sourdough breads that are flavorful and nourishing, and rustic pastries that emphasize our excellent ingredients, from local grains to seasonal produce. We bake for our community, to bring you your daily bread; for ourselves, to earn a living producing beautiful food; and for the food system, to strengthen the connections between farmers, millers, bakers, and eaters.
Sophie came to baking sideways from a background in farming and natural science. She started the bakery in 2014 and still builds recipes, mixes dough, bakes, rides bike deliveries, and occasionally remembers to catch up on bookkeeping and social media. You can read her post-bake, pre-market essays on food, business, bicycles, and other less bakery-relevant topics in the weekly newsletter, alongside the week's menu.
Our goal is to make food that's good you, the eaters, and for the workers and lands that produce it. In an economic system built on the exploitation of land, labor, and natural resources, this is an impossible ambition, but one we're committed to working towards. Right now, this means building relationships with local producers where we can and finding short, transparent supply chains where we can't. The results are imperfect but improving. 75% of our ingredients, by weight, are grown in Washington and most of the remaining 25% are processed here.
BUTTER: wherever we can find organic, cultured butter. Often Larson's Creamery (OR).
CHOCOLATE: K'ul Chocolate (Whatcom)
EGGS: Broad Leaf Farm (Whatcom), Well Fed Farms (Skagit), Osprey Hill Farm (Whatcom)
FLOUR + GRAINS: Cairnspring Mills (Skagit), Fairhaven Flour Mill (Skagit)
FRUITS + VEG: Whatcom/Skagit farmers and our neighborhood gleanings
HERBS: the back garden
HONEY: BeeWorks Farm (Whatcom), The Valley's Buzz (Skagit)
NUTS: Holmquist Hazelnuts, Hummingbird Wholesale
SEEDS & SWEETENERS: Hummingbird Wholesale
SPICES: Singing Dog Vanilla, Red Ape Cinnamon, Frontier Co-op